Sunday 15 August 2010

Lessons Learnt

I am now 34 years old, so I've decide to take a moment to reflect on what important lessons I have learnt about myself and life in general over this time.

1. NEVER eat anything bigger than you're own head.  If I were to pass on only one piece of advice to my children it would this.

2. Goodfellas is my favorite film.  You may not agree with this choice, but within the confines of this blog you are wrong.

3. I look a bit like a film star.  Unfortunately it's Ethan Suplee.  Who I hear you cry!  Well he's most famous for playing the part of redneck simpleton Randy Hicky in the Channel 4 series My Name is Earl.  The likeness was first noticed by work colleagues, but I only really excepted it as a reality when a group of teenage boys started shouting "Hey, Earl!" at me in a slow redneck drawl when I was shopping in town.

4. Listen to your heart, but not in a soppy Hollywood movie type way.  If you meet someone and think they're an arse then they probably are.  This is a harsh example of my point but I think we've forgotten how to use our instincts, you often make the right decisions very quickly but change your mind because of things like politeness or worrying what others will think.

5. Buying films on DVDs is a waste of money.  I have to admit my Dad was right when he'd question how many times I'd watch the 100 or so films I had on VHS as a teenager.  The truth was once, maybe twice for all but a very select group of films.  Lovefilm is much more sensible option.

6. If you loved the film Highlander as a kid DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES watch it now as an adult.  I made this mistake and it revealed itself to be pile of badly made and (worst of all) boring shite (apart from the Queen soundtrack).  Happy childhood memories shattered.

7. Walk.  Walking is ace.  It doesn't have to be up a mountain (although that is the best kind), it can be anywhere.  When you walk you have chance to see and explore things you'd simply whizz past in a car, for example in Bristol there is a public toilet under Princes St which is like stepping back in time to the 1930's and you won't know that if you needed a poo whilst driving along that same street.

I may add to this post in time, but now I need more birthday wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment